At the beginning of the 16th century, Wittenberg University was promoted with the description “the location, the beauty and the fame of the well-known, wonderful town of Albioris: commonly known as Wittenberg”. It has now become Lutherstadt Wittenberg. It was spared destruction during the war even though outskirts of the town were destroyed. Even today, visitors to the Lutheran town can enjoy the atmosphere of Reformation and Renaissance.
Today, we travelled on an ICE Train at 199 kmph arriving at 10:40 with blue sky, sunshine and a temperature of -2 degrees (the top today was 3). The frost was thick on the ground.
From the end of the 15th century Wittenberg was the residence of Frederick the Wise. His clever politics, the rapidly developing University founded in 1502, the influence of Luther, Melanchthon and other leading reformers, all led to this small town on the Elbe becoming the centre of spiritual life in Europe. Since 1938 it has presented itself as the official “Town of Luther”.
MAINS WATERWELL ON THE HOLZMARKT
In 1556 the water was taken from the spring area to individual courtyards. It was carried along 2.7 Kms of pipe which used the natural downwards gradient of the terrain and was made of hollowed tree trunks connected with iron joints.
This technical monument from 16th century which still works today is unique in Germany. It is serviced by the pipe engineer in the service of the union that still exists.
Since 1996 the town of Dr. Martin Luther contains UNESCO World Cultural Heritage sites in the castle and municipal churches.
In 1517 Martin Luther posted his famous 95 Theses on to the portal of the Schlosskirche. (Castle Church).
In 2017 the town will celebrate the 500th anniversary of the event. In preparation for this, the huge Castle Church looks as though it is wrapped in a blanket as much restoration work is being carried out.
THE TOWN CHURCH with two wonderful spires is at the Market Place which has currently been taken over by the local Christmas Market due to open in a few days. The Luther Memorial stands on this Square.